Link to the Engineering Program is here.
The current engineering brochure is here.
Courses offered for Fall 2013
Courses offered in the Engineering program:
See the Engineering Program web site.
Important resources offered by the STEM division, PGCC, and beyond
- STEM Collegian Center --
great resource to extend your engineering connections
- The Library
Financial Aid --
this is a good general resource even beyond PGCC
- Ask Us Now -- Library services for
the great state of Maryland
- Study Guides -- Books that will help you
succeed in Engineering, Mathematics, and Science courses!
- Internships (Scholarships as well) -- Places to apply for
internships. Remember that internships and scholarships
should be applied for well in advance. Start looking during the winter break or
sooner! Updated for 2012.
Sample schedule for primary engineering fields -- FULL TIME (this is a work
PGCC offers only the first two years of an engineering degree, thus any
schedule involving the traditional core courses is sufficient to continue
study at another school. At most usually only 70 credits are
Note: To get any engineering degree requires a demanding schedule. Five
year programs for BS degrees are typical. Hence 2.5 years at PGCC would be
considered normal for a full time student.
Please seek advice from the engineering department before embarking on any
particular program in engineering. The following contain sample programs
that are designed for transferring to a four-year university. A different
program is required for getting an AS degree. Seek advisement.
Sample schedule for pre-engineering fields -- FULL TIME:
If your are not calculus ready at the start of your engineering program, you
will be required to follow the pre-engineering schedule below. Deviation
from this program must be approved by the engineering department.
As always seek advisement before embarking on any program at any college.
Students in developmental courses should follow a general studies with a STEM direction approach. -- This appproach has been careful worked out for
maximum benefit -- Assumes FULL-TIME:
Brief Bio:Dr. Johnson joined Prince George's Community College in
the Fall of 2005.
Previous to that he worked for 10 years as a system engineer and scientist at the Goddard Space
Flight Center. For the majority of those years, he helped develop the
Detector Characterization Laboratory.
Dr. Johnson has twenty years experience in systems
engineering, scientific analysis and
research, and professional lecturing in science and mathematics.
He participated in many activities beyond
defined responsibilities, including but not limited to business
development, public relations, and web development.
Research Interests:Research interests include
radiation effects on electronics,
computer simulation (in
engineering and physics),
paleontology, and coffee.
The Catholic University of America,
----Thesis: Investigation of the properties
of fullerenes by means of molecular dynamics simulation
An interesting footnote is that Dr. Johnson was born in
Washington Hospital Center which is one block from CUA
M.S. Physics, The Catholic University of America, 1992
B.S. Computer Science,
Washington University in St. Louis,
B.S. Electrical Engineering,
Washington University in St. Louis,
1984 -- Second oldest EE department in the nation
Dr. Johnson's Select Publications
Professional Organizations in Engineering:
- General Engineering Societies
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers -- Founding Society (US,1884,1912,1963)
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology - UK
- The International Society for Optical Engineers
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers -- Founding Society (US, 1908)
- American Society of Civil Engineers -- Founding Society (US, 1852)
- Institution of Civil Engineers -- UK founded in 1818 (1771)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers -- Founding Society (US, 1880)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- Institute of Biological Engineering
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Materials and Geology
- American Nuclear Society
- Institute of Transportation Engineers
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers
- National Academy of Forensic Engineers
- Society of Plastics Engineers
- Institute of Food Technologists
- Audio Engineering Society
- The American Solar Energy Society -- sponsors the National Solar Tour in October showcasing green buildings
- DOE: Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy -- sponsors the Solar Decathlon in the late September/early October time range; to date there have been 8 solar decatholons, five in Washington DC, two in Madrid, and one in China
- Solar Decathlon Next Solar Decathlon to be in the US in 2013 is in Orange County, CA. Apparently they will not be in Washington DC again (bad decision; seems to be some politics involved -- this is the traditional place it started).
- Solar Decathlon The last year in Washington DC was in a slightly different location from September 23rd to October 2nd, 2011. -- bring the Solar Decathlon back to DC!
sd europe 2014 will be in France - Teams from the US have teamed with Germany and France; let's cheer
- sd europe occured in the September of 2012 in Spain
- No team from the US will compete in this Solar Decathlon marking the first time a US team has not competed in a Solar Decathlon
- Brazil's first Solar House -- University of Sao Paulo and University of Santa Catarina will be responsible
sd china Occured in 2013 in China; the photos show a very beautiful contest; Australia wins!
- sd europe Solar Decathlon 2010 - Madrid (17 out 20 competed)
- Solar Decathlon 2009
- Solar Decathlon 2007
- Solar Decathlon 2005
- Solar Decathlon 2002
- American Society for Engineering Education
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Society of Women Engineers
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- The Institution of Engineers Australia
- The Institution of Engineers Ireland
- Ordem Dos Engenheiros
- The Nigerian Society of Engineers
What an engineer needs sites:
Professional Organizations in Science:
Government Laboratories utilizing engineers and scientists: