CIS 170 - Microcomputer Operating Systems
First Lab - Intro. to the MS-DOS prompt and Win95
Professor. Edward F. Bouling, IV
This lab is fairly elementary in nature. Remember those commands from the Prelab, well here they are and few more.
Useful commands and utilities:
First Lab - Professor. Edward F. Bouling, IV, page 1
Working from the A: drive with a formatted disk in place:
1. Be sure there are no directories and files on your disk.
What command would you use to check? ______________________________
What command would you use to remove directories? ______________________________
What command would you use to remove files? ______________________________
2. Create a directory structure as follows: Create subdir1 and subdir2 as subdirectories to the root directory. Then create two more directories called business and personal which will be subordinate to the subdir2 directory.
What command do you use for this? ____________________________________
3. At the root directory prompt ( A:\> ), create the following text files using the DOS text editor. Save them on your disk under the names that appear below:
What command do you use for this tasks? ________________________________
This is a sample file. Yet another sample file.
It is the first file created. It is the second one created.
This is very easy stuff. This is more easy stuff.
4. At the A:\> prompt, enter the command which will make a copy of file1.txt and store it in subdir1.
What is the necessary command ? _______________________________
5. At the A:\subdir1> prompt, change the name of the copy of file1.txt to subfile1.txt.
What are the steps used to do this? _____________________________________
6. From the A:\subdir2> prompt, copy file2.txt to subdir2 changing the name of the file to subfile2.txt.
Use one command, which is? _______________________________
7. Change to the business subdirectory. From the A:\subdir2\business> prompt, copy file1.txt from the root to the current directory changing the file names to file1.bus, using one command.
What is the command needed? _________________________________________
8. View the contents of file2.bus on the screen. How did you do this? ____________
9. From the A:\subdir2\business> prompt, copy file1.bus to the personal subdirectory, changing its name to file1.prs.
What is the command needed? _________________
10. To see if all the files are in the right places, use the Windows
Explorer feature of Win95.
Make a copy for yourself and a copy to give me.