FORM A-1, MAJOR FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES COMMENTARY
(First Year Teaching Faculty)
Faculty Member Academic Year
The following major functional responsibilities are the job requirements for first year teaching faculty.
Use an attachment to address how you are fulfilling these responsibilities. Your commentary should bring to the attention of the ILS any materials or accomplishments related to the major functional responsibilities (MFRs) about which the ILS may not be aware. Typically, two or three pages are an adequate length. Send the original commentary and a copy to the Central File by the due date published by the plan coordinator with copies to your ILS, dean, and, if applicable, coordinator and/or peer. Make sure that you keep a copy for your own files.
MAJOR FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Instructional Content. Submit copies of syllabi with explanation how they incorporate the subject content of appropriate academic rigor as established by the department for each course.
2. Instructional Methods. Submit plans for reaching students with different learning styles.
3. Class Administrative Duties. Submit samples of policy statements/syllabi distributed to students in writing during first week of class of all course requirements including outline of course objectives, attendance policy, grading system, textbook and other instructional materials, and office hours.
4. Departmental Participation. Participate actively and thoughtfully in the department beyond classroom responsibilities.
5. General Administrative Duties. Fulfills administrative requirements of meeting all scheduled classes or promptly notifying staff of absences; keeping accurate class attendance and assessment records (submit sample); maintaining scheduled office hours; and responding promptly to requests from course coordinators, department chairs, or deans.
6. College/Community Service. Indicate possible areas of interest in college-related activities either on- or off-campus.
7. Professional Development. Indicate areas of interest and possible goals for professional development.
Faculty Member (Signature) Date