What is an Associate of
Arts in Teaching [A.A.T.] ?
- a special two-year transfer degree program for students who are
interested in becoming teachers.
- an A.A.T. holder can transfer to any four year accredited public or
private College of Education in the State of Maryland and will not have
to repeat any courses or be required to take additional courses before
being considered eligible for teacher candidacy.
- the degree is not a guarantee of admission to a four-year school but
rather an assurance of eligibility.
- courses are in alignment with the Maryland State Department of
Education Teacher Certification requirements and the Standards
of the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- in order to earn the A.A.T. students must have at least a 2.75 Grade
Point Average and have passed the Praxis I exam. A grade of "D" in any
course does not count toward the program.
Prince George's Community College currently offers the A.A.T. in:
- Early Childhood Education (for those who wish to teach in Pre-School
up to 3rd Grade)
- Elementary Education ( Teaching in 1st to 8th Grade. Note: an
additional Praxis exam will be required in one of the Middle School
content areas of mathematics, science, language arts, or social studies
to be a Highly Qualified Middle School Teacher.
- Secondary Chemistry Teaching
- Secondary Mathematics Teaching
- Secondary Physics Teaching
- Secondary Spanish Teaching
*Secondary English Teaching and Special Education A.A.T.'s are expected